Clive Holtham is Professor of Information Management and Cass Learning
Laboratory Director (Go
to Clive Holtham's Cass Experts entry). Dr Martin Rich is a Lecturer in
Information Management at Cass (Go
to Martin Rich Cass Experts entry).
Summary of key points:
Clive Holtham, Professor of Information Management at Cass Business School,
is the man behind the recent publication of the Intelligent Exploiter
framework. We asked him about the framework, and the opportunities it provides
in the world of IT. Key concepts included:
- IT is not about boxes and wires, it is about information and knowledge, and
how technology can transform and exploit these;
- The framework has extended a model used in the building and construction
industries to create a comprehensive plan for businesses and
- Businesses do not benefit from technology, unless they are aware of how to
deploy and exploit information and knowledge;
- The mindset of businesses in IT is important in perceiving both problem and
solution as a whole;
- The IT industry is not stabilised, but ever-changing;
- The rise of free and low cost technologies will dramatically enhance the
ability of small businesses to get up-and-running quickly.
Dr Rich: What is the Intelligent Exploiter? And why is it so
important to business?
Professor Holtham: Well, first of all, the Intelligent
Exploiter framework, though it has been published in 2008/9, is really on the
back of ten to 15 years worth of research here at Cass Business School. So it
has not suddenly emerged in one year, it has cumulatively been developed.
Q: There are several components, can you just run through those for